Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Full Heart

I was fortunate enough to be off work tonight, so I went to the Beth Moore Bible Study. Tonight, I went solo, which is unusual, but all my usual companions were busy. I'm so thankful I went, because I realized it will most likely be my last chance this semester because of my work schedule. Anyway, my heart is so full after Bible Study, I almost can't stand it! These past months, when God has just been teaching me so many new things, sometimes I just almost have to say, "Hang on a second, I need to catch my breath!" He is so overwhelming, and can certainly fill my heart to capacity, even to overflowing so I don't have to keep trying to fill it with other things! Well, tonight, Beth continued her study on Inheritance and spoke about how God gifts believers. We have been talking about service and ministry with our students this semester in Rooted (Sunday School) and LIFEGroups, so it really just put a cap on all that God has been teaching me through that.

One thing that I have always gotten excited about is the giving of the Holy Spirit. I'm so thankful that the Bible makes it clear that when I was saved, the Holy Spirit took up residence in me and is here to stay!! The sending of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost marked the beginning of the New Testament Church, and there was a shift from external blessing, to an internal transformation in the lives of believers. God has given us Himself as our inheritance! What more could we ask for? When we are saved, God gives us spiritual gifts. As we grow and mature in Him, we learn what those gifts are and are to use them for His glory. One point that Beth made tonight was that my spiritual gifts were given to me, but not for me. They are to be used to minister to the Body of Christ. If we don't use our gifts, we are robbing the Body! I'll close with a passage of scripture Beth read from The Message. The passage is Romans 12:6-8: ". . .let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't. If you preach, just preach God's Message, nothing else; if you help, just help, don't take over; if you teach, stick to your teaching; if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don't get bossy; if you're put in charge, don't manipulate; if you're called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don't let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face."

Remember that as Christians, we are incredibly gifted! Let's use those gifts under the Spirit's guidance to make an eternal impact on those around us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment