Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reading like crazy. . .

So, I have been on a crazy binge of reading books lately. It's so bad that a couple of my friends have been making fun of me! In all sincerity, it's been an extension of the fact that God's Word has really been coming alive to me, and I have had a hunger for studying it. So, some of these books are Bible studies, some of them are just non-fiction, and one of them is fiction. They have all encouraged and stretched me spiritually, and have definitely made me "think outside the box!" So, I thought in this post, I'd let y'all see what I've been reading.

This book was recommended by a couple of friends, and it was eye-opening to say the least! It is a book about understanding men (like that's even possible!). Actually, it was very informative and compares the way women think compared to the way men think. I think we just automatically think everyone thinks like us, so this was good to hear guys' responses to everyday situations. I have heard that the male counterpart, "For Men Only," is also a good read, and I just recently saw the book "For Parents Only," which looks like it would be a great read for parents of teenagers. This book was a quick-read, and I would recommend it!

This is a Bible Study that Codi, Lacey, Shahla, Shelly, and I planned to do together this summer. I think we were all a little delusional to think our schedules would allow. But, I learned one thing for sure. . .God's timing is perfect. I picked this book up and started going through it during late summer and it was so timely. It was during this Bible Study that I really got back on track with daily spending time in the Word. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a fresh take on the study of idol worship. Our culture is so consumed with the worship of so many things that leave us empty. The one point that vividly sticks out to me some months later is that God never asks us to give up something that He isn't going to replace with something even better. However, alot of times, there is a waiting period between those two things. That's where patience comes in! We can trust Him!

When I finshed "No Other Gods," I started the journey through "90 days with Jesus the One and Only." It's no secret to any of you that I absolutely love Beth Moore. I have never done her "Jesus, the One and Only" study before, and I liked this format. I enjoyed the way this study started at Christ's birth and followed His life, His death, His resurrection, and His Ascension. Here is a blog I wrote after one of my daily readings from this book. Doing this study was a sweet time of me falling in love with my Savior all over again, while still learning how to completely trust Him.

As soon as I read this book, I had to tell everyone I knew that it is a MUST read! "Same Kind of Different as Me" will completely change the way you view homelessness and poverty. It is an autobiography written by two men who couldn't be from more different backgrounds. Ron Hall is an upscale art dealer from Fort Worth who meets Denver Moore when he and his wife are doing volunteer work at a homeless shelter. Denver was a hardened homeless man, but Ron's wife was convinced that God had ordained their relationship, and was persistent and patient in pursuing it. It really challenged me to step out of my comfort zone and be obedient to build relationships with people even when they are completely different from me. I must warn you about this one. . .you WILL cry. .but it's worth it!

I had heard about this book from several friends, some of whom have heard the author speak at Passion Conferences. In "Crazy Love," Francis Chan speaks about the great magnitude of God's love for us and the way we should live our lives in response to this love. It was very challenging, and inspired me to think about every decision I make as it relates to eternity and the impact we have here on earth. It convicted me in the area of materialism and how wrapped up we can get in the "American Dream." One feature I really enjoyed was the online videos that go along with the book. "Crazy Love" stirred in me some of the same lessons I've learned after spending time in third world countries. It kind of just puts things into perspective. I was certainly challenged to live a life in radical complete surrender to my Savior!

"Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" is a book that I read for the first time during college. I read it along with several other books that described modern-day revivals. This book is written by Jim Cymbala, the pastor of Brooklyn Tabernacle in New York. I read the book the first time before I had ever visited NYC, but since I have been 3 times and during one of those trips, I was able to watch Brooklyn Tabernacle's Christmas Production. It was amazing! The book chronicles Jim's journey as the pastor at Brooklyn Tabernacle, which had a membership of about 15 when he started. Now, they have 4 services and 10,000+ members. The thing I love about the book is Jim's heart for prayer, and the fact that his ministry isn't about numbers, but about seeing people's lives completely transformed by Christ. He emphatically will tell you that the prayer life of a church is the gauge for growth. At Brooklyn Tabernacle, they have seen God work in miraculous ways in their Tuesday night prayer meetings. Reading this book was refreshing and exciting. One statement that stood out to me was that we have have become comfortable in America being the Church at Laodecia. We have become so complacement being luke warm, that it's the new normal. As the Church, we need to get on our knees and call out to God. Then, the Holy Spirit will certainly fall fresh and change lives!!

So, by now, this book is almost a household name in America. I was one of the stubborn ones who didn't want to read it at first, because I thought the theology might be a little off. But, if there's one thing God's been teaching during these last few months is to not limit Him or put Him a box. I am SO thankful that I read this book! It challenged everything I've ever believed about God and His character, but in the end, left me feeling that I knew Him a little more. I believe that the author, though in an unorthodox manner, really expressed the fact that God is exactly who we need whenever we need Him, but ultimately, He is the One true Father that will NEVER let us down. I love the way Young characterized the trinity and the lessons Mack learned in this book. There were lines that I read that gave me chills, some that made me cry, and many that made me stretch my thinking. I am better for having read "The Shack!"

This is one book that I'm reading right now. I enjoyed Kelly's "No Other Gods" study so much that I googled her and found that she had written this book as well. I can see myself in Kelly, as we are at similar seasons in our lives. She is real and very transparent in her struggles. This particular book is about allowing God to do miraculous things in our lives. One point that she makes that really stood out to me is that when God speaks and doesn't act immediately, instead of waiting, alot of times we try to help Him out. Instead, we need to trust Him and His timing.

This is the devotional study I'm doing right now. It has been very interesting to take a closer look at the youngest disciple, John. I'm only about 15 days into it at this point, but I look forward to following the life of John as He followed Jesus.

Okay, so this was a long blog. . . I would recommend all of these books to you! Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I have a new one for you to read. I just finished it yesterday. Beyond Belief - it's Josh Hamilton's autobiography. I had heard bits and pieces of his story, but the book is AMAZING. God and baseball - doesn't get any better than that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristi.. I bought "For Parents Only" I will have to get "For Women Only". I too have been reading none stop.. It started around Christmas and I just can't stop.. I've always been a reader but not like this.. Jason is reading "Same Kind of Different as Me" I can't wait for him to finish so I can start.. I finsihed "Crazy Love" a few weeks ago. WOW great book! I'll check out the others. Brittany Ford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a huge fan of for women only, and have given it as a gift to lots of my friends. I think it allows girls to hear what guys want the to know without ever having to try pulling it out of guy in your own life. I would be interest in reading the other books in that series...you'll have to post if you read those and let us know if they're worth purchasing.

    I know its not a Christian book, but have you read Twilight? I found that to be a fun easy read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Twilight. . I have to be honest, since I've see how addicted everyone is to it, I decided to not get into it! But, I still might read it. . we shall see!

    ReplyDelete